Thursday, February 21, 2008

Failure to Be Recognized

Jesus answered: "Don't you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father. How can you say, `Show us the Father'? John 14:9

I walked up to a small huddle of Ranger Students in the middle of the night to find them complaining about their Ranger Instructor. Cloaked by the darkness, I eased into their little group and listened to their grievances and complaints. It was hilarious to listen to them criticize me so strongly and not know I was standing right there. In the humor of it all, I ease dropped for a few minutes. Then I interrupted the gripe session by asking, “Don’t you men have better things to do than snivel about me holding your feet to the fire?” The group quickly and sheepishly disbanded. In the darkness they failed to recognize that their RI was standing in their midst. Sometimes, in the darkness of our understanding, we may fail to recognize Jesus in our presence. He’s not just a great teacher or a great prophet, He is God. He hears every word and sees every act. Have we truly recognized Him in our midst? (John 1:1-2,14) SP200