Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Integrity Under Fire

And David shepherded them with integrity of heart; with skillful hands he led them. Psalm 78:72

Before a road march out to the field, I stated to my platoon, “All right, this is a period of amnesty. If you have anything in your ruck you shouldn’t, bring it up front.” I could not believe the contraband that was being piled up at my feet (even a bottle of whiskey!). Just then, my commander walked by and noticed my little collection. He demanded to know the rightful owners of these prohibited items. I told him, “I’m sorry sir, but I told my men that this was a period of amnesty.” I knew I was in trouble at that point but I could not violate a promise made to my men. I took the heat that day, (and learned a better procedure for amnesty) but I gained the respect of my platoon by leading with integrity. SP198