Sunday, February 10, 2008

Recognized

When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus. Act 4:13

I was preaching to the islanders during a missions trip to the Solomon Islands. The pastor came up to me afterwards and asked through the translator, “Are you a soldier?” I was amazed because at the time, I had just finished seminary and was waiting to come back in the Army as a chaplain. My hair was not regulation and I wasn’t wearing a uniform, how could he tell I had been a soldier? When I asked, he said “You just look and act like a soldier.” I guess after being in the service so long it’s pretty obvious. But here’s a more important question; when people look at us is it obvious that we are Christians? When we live our lives with Jesus intensely, others will readily recognize who we’ve been with. SP190