Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Point Man

On reaching the place, he said to them, "Pray that you will not fall into temptation." Luke 22:40 (NIV)

We moved down the trail in total darkness and the only thing we could see was the dim outline of the trees along the path. I was the point man and I could hear voices up ahead. Excitement was building as I lead the reconnaissance patrol toward the suspected mortar position. Then suddenly, there was a deafening bang next to my right ear and a flash blinded me. The mortar crew had put out a booby trap. As we stumbled back down the trail with our tail between our legs and seeing nothing but white dots, I realized I had failed as the point man that night. Aren’t you glad that God can see every trip wire and every ambush? We need to pray that God will go before us as our point man and warn us about the temptations that lay in our path.