Monday, February 04, 2008

What’s Gonna Last

Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away. Luke 21:33

It was over. I was no longer part of the team. The Meritorious Service Medal dangled from my chest like a small insignificant period at the end of the final sentence of a long book. 29 years had gone by so fast. I knew retirement would come one day. That’s why I decided a long time ago not to wrap my whole identity around my Army career. I could have sacrificed my wife, my kids, my dog, my cat, and yes even my very soul and what would I have in the end? Don’t get me wrong, I loved being in the Army and I took my duties very seriously. But, I put things in perspective. Everything fades away except the few that are eternal: God and His Word, the souls of people, and my reward in heaven. These investments will not disappoint. SP 185