Monday, February 11, 2008

When Doubts Leave Us Stranded

God is not a man, that he should lie, nor a son of man, that he should change his mind. Does he speak and then not act? Does he promise and not fulfill? Numbers 23:19

I was the lone pathfinder on the top of a mountain. As I looked out for miles around, all I could see was the desert floor and the intense heat waves rising off the sand. A thought ran through my head, “What if the pilot forgets that I’m out here? What if he experiences some kind of mechanical trouble and he leaves me here in the desert? What if…” Suddenly, breaking my chain of worrisome thoughts, I heard the familiar sound of helicopter blades beating the air. The prospects of being stranded alone in a desolate wasteland ended because the pilot fulfilled his promise. There are times in life when we start feeling alone. Times when we doubt God’s dependability. Times when we waver with the “What ifs” and we feel like He may leave us stranded. In those times we need to remind ourselves, He is always dependable and will fulfill every promise. SP191