Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Comparison Games

We do not dare to classify or compare ourselves with some who commend themselves. When they measure themselves by themselves and compare themselves with themselves, they are not wise. 2 Corinthians 10:12


At the Chaplain’s School I noticed a brand new chaplain in the Basic Course who had obviously been an infantrymen before he became a chaplain. He had both SF and Ranger tabs, he was HALO and Pathfinder qualified, and to top it all off, he was a combat vet. As I admired the warrior, I suddenly realized envy beginning to creep in. I caught myself comparing badge for badge. I had some he had, but then again; I was lacking… WAIT! It’s a trap! Ambush Left! Any time we start the comparison game we set ourselves up for failure. God uniquely creates us for a specific reason and that necessitates difference. When we start the comparisons, we are left with two conclusions; I’m better or I’m not as good. Neither is true. I’m different with a distinct mission and praise God for that. Stay on azimuth with your calling and break contact with comparisons. SP266