Sunday, May 11, 2008

Hungry?

Like newborn babies, crave pure spiritual milk [of the Word], so that by it you may grow up in your salvation. 1 Peter 2:2

Have you ever been real hungry? I’m not talking “just a little late for supper” hungry. I’m talking real hungry! Like “several days with just the bare minimum” kind of hungry. That’s the kind of hunger that starts to have a dominating effect on the body, soul, and mind. In Ranger School, I got to the point where every spare moment was spent fantasizing about food. I would envision all kinds of wonderful concoctions I would make when I graduated. Like a vanilla milk shake with M&Ms, cashews, and peanut butter. In the Florida Phase we had to cross a road and I saw a Big Mac wrapper. I thought I was going to die. I would dream about food, think about food, and long for food. That’s the kind of hunger we need to develop for the Word of God. A desire that is so overwhelming we can’t wait till the next time we get to read it. Like a baby for milk, like a Ranger Student for chow, crave the Word of God. SP260