Monday, May 26, 2008

Our Plans vs God’s Purpose

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails. Proverbs 19:21

The plan was simple. Get way out front, stay awake, and report any enemy armor movement. We were aggressing the 5th Mechanized Division and as a light infantry unit, we needed a lot of warning. The weather was miserable and for three days there was only the sound of rain and boredom. Fatigue set in as the catnaps became insufficient. I told my assistant team leader to take charge while I caught a few Zs. I suddenly woke to the rolling thunder of tracked vehicles and a comatose recon team dead asleep. I grabbed the radio and called back a frantic SITREP. A few moments later the battalion commander was bragging about ambushing the columns and congratulating me on my alertness. If he only knew! Sometimes our best plans fail miserably and yet God is able not only to salvage it but also provide great success. Remember to trust Him because He is in control. SP268