Friday, May 16, 2008

Saluting Privates

I, John, am the one who heard and saw these things. And when I heard and saw, I fell down to worship at the feet of the angel who showed me these things. But he *said to me, "Do not do that. I am a fellow servant of yours and of your brethren the prophets and of those who heed the words of this book. Worship God."
Revelation 22:8-9


It’s it or is it not? A narrow gold metallic emblem fixed on the front of the beret, hummm. Is it the butter bar of a brand new lieutenant or a unit crest? When in doubt, whip it out…the big snappy salute. Only to find out it’s a private you just saluted. This was especially embarrassing when a private would salute you back and say, “You have a good one too Sarge.” Imagine how the Apostle John felt when he was corrected by the angel, “Don’t worship me, I’m a servant like you.” Oops! We can inadvertently misplace our worship in the wrong thing too. Anytime we put people, places, position, or possessions above Christ, we are in a very real danger of saluting the wrong person. Gut check: are you worshiping Jesus and Him alone? SP331