Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Repetition

These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Deuteronomy 6:6-7

One of the frustrating things about being a private was being reminded of the same things over and over again. Simple things like setting up a Claymore mine, aiming my weapon correctly or digging a fighting position. Over and over again, I was trained in basic tasks and I would complain that I could do these things in my sleep. And that was the method to the madness, to be able to perform “even in my sleep.” Repetition had turned essential tasks into instinct. The same can be done with the basics of the Christian life. As we practice the disciplines of prayer, Scripture reading, sharing our faith with others, we become proficient at the very things that draw us closer to God. Even our children benefit as they see the Christian life lived out consistently before them. Repetition works! SP255