Wednesday, June 11, 2008

34 Feet of Faith

Trust in the LORD with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make your paths straight. Proverbs 3:5-6


They came back to brag about their exploits. As an infantry trainee, I was lapping up the stories of the guys who had just graduated AIT the class before. Now in Airborne School, they talked about jumping out of a 34-foot tower. “34 feet!” I thought, “Well, if they did it, I can.” You see, I was thinking they meant I would jump from 34-foot tower and hit the ground. I was mentally prepared to do so because I had faith that if they did it, I could. Of course, as soon as I got there, I learned it was more like some ride at an amusement park and you never touched the ground. But, as a naive private, I was willing to do what ever it took. And isn’t that a lot like our faith in God. We think He’s going to ask us to do some horrendous thing but we trust Him and take that leap of faith. Then we see His provision and experience His grace. We find that it wasn’t so bad after all. In fact, it turned out to be pretty fun. Don’t have it all figured out? Time to trust Him. SP284