Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Making Wise the Simple

The law of the LORD is perfect, reviving the soul. The statutes of the LORD are trustworthy, making wise the simple. Psalm 19:7


I often hear jokes about infantrymen not being the smartest bunch in the world and especially Airborne Rangers. I’ve kind of taken a bit of pride in being more brutish than cerebral and I like to mention my GED right along with my BA and MDiv. But there was a time when most people would have looked at my educational level and used the word “simple” as a good adjective to describe me. But I had spent thousands of hours in the Word of God, drinking it like a thirsty man. When I was stationed in Dahlonega, a man in our church took notice of that fact. He came to me, the simple infantryman, and asked me to help him with his spiritual growth. I taught him how to have a quiet time, memorize Scripture, share his faith, and how to disciple other men. The simple infantry guy was mentoring the man with a PhD who was a senior professor in the Physics Department at North Georgia College. This is not a testimony to the ability of a man but to the power of the Word of God. Truly it makes the simple wise! SP275