Monday, June 16, 2008

Chowin’ Down

Jesus answered, "It is written: `Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.' " Matthew 4:4

When your words came, I ate them; they were my joy and my heart's delight… Jeremiah 15:16



During the 8-hour break between the Mountain and Florida phase of Ranger school I had several things I wanted to do. Getting something to eat was at the top of the list. My hunger took priority over laundry, entertainment, and even sleep. So my buddies and I decided to hit the local pizza buffet. I was like an eating machine. Slice after slice was devoured and oh, the absolute pleasure of having a full belly again. I wonder if we have that kind of hunger for the Word of God. Does our desire for God sit like an empty pain in the pit of our spiritual stomachs? And does our yearning to be filled with spiritual bread take priority over the mundane tasks of life, or recreation and entertainment, or even our physical needs? When we eat from the Bread of Life, the Living Word of God, we can be totally satisfied and filled with joy having dined with our Glorious Creator. SP289