Monday, June 09, 2008

Good Soil

“Still other seed fell on good soil. It came up and yielded a crop, a hundred times more than was sown." Luke 8:4-8

"This is the meaning of the parable: The seed is the word of God…the seed on good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop. Luke 8:11,15


He was one of my RIs, a young motivated Buck Sergeant fresh out of the 3rd Ranger Bn. He came up to me after PT and looked me square in the eye. “Sergeant,” he said, “I know you are a Christian and I know you are really living the life. Will you show me how?” I started with the basics; How to have a quiet time, share his faith, Bible study, and lots of time spent together talking about life and our Lord. Then I started to challenge him to bear fruit, to reproduce, “The things I’ve done with you, go and do for someone else.” 12 years have pasted and now he’s a Major who’s done very well in his career, he has a family, and lots of responsibilities. I had breakfast with him recently and as we talked he opened his Bible. He shared his white-hot passion for God and how He was using him in other men’s lives. He’s still bearing spiritual fruit, planting the Word of God in other men’s souls. Now that is good soil! SP282