Sunday, June 29, 2008

Bring Me Luck?

"You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God.” Exodus 20:4-5


“Chaplain, with your little prayer and my lucky rubber band on my wrist. I know I’m going to shoot well during gunnery.” Hmmm, is that so? Today, idols may come in the form of trinkets like a rabbit’s foot, medallions, statues, horseshoes, or even the cross I wear around my neck. These objects, in themselves, have no power. But when we believe they supposedly bring good fortune or have some intrinsic spiritual value, we’ve got a problem. We establish these items as idols that inherit the same value as some mystical favor-giving god. They become idols if we ascribe any power to them. In reality, there is no power in such things. And why would we place our trust in some blind, deaf, dumb, and impotent object when we can simply pray to the Creator of the Universe? True and righteous power comes from God and God alone. There’s no such thing as luck. SP302