Saturday, June 28, 2008

Supreme Allegiance to Only One

"You shall have no other gods before me. Exodus 20:3

I love the Army but it’s not my god. I believe in the Army values but my supreme loyalties and duties belong to Christ. Over the years I have watched men and women sacrifice their spouse, the kids, the cat, the dog, and maybe even the kitchen sink in homage to their “career god.” But it’s not just career. False gods come in all shapes and sizes. Relationships, recreation, fame, and fortune can all demand our highest devotions. Worship is reserved for the One and only true God, the Lord Jesus Christ. He and He alone deserves our greatest affection and allegiance. And consider this: we worship more by our actions than our words. If someone placed 24-hour surveillance on your life, whom would they say you worship? May it be the Way, the Truth, and the Life, Jesus Christ. (John 14:6) The closer I look at the commandments, the more I realize I need the mercy of a forgiving God. SP301