Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Before You Bust on Others

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye. Matthew 7:3-5



Get off the Truck! off the truck! The Drill Sergeants screamed, as I was officially welcomed to basic training. Having been in JROTC and an Army brat, I knew the deal. Keep a low profile, do what you’re told, and move out sharply. With my duffle bag over my shoulder I was one of the first in formation. It was complete mayhem. People pinging off one another, Drills yelling, guys doing push ups, it was crazy. But I was gloating over the fact that “I knew what I was doing, I was no rookie like the rest of these guys.” Suddenly it was dead silent with forty sweaty bodies standing at attention. One Drill started out low and choppy, “Who…is… missING…THEIR…DUFFLE BAG?! I thought, “Oh, I pity the poor schmuck who left their bag on the truck.” “WOOD, CHARLES D.” came the enraged voice. I had someone else’s bag. I was the poor schmuck! Lesson: Check your own stuff before “assisting” others. SP283