Thursday, June 19, 2008

The Role of Obstacles in Discipleship

Read Matthew 2.19-23

Joseph and Mary were hiding in Egypt until Herod died, why? Couldn’t God have just taken him out earlier? They were afraid to live in Judea because Herod’s son was the new ruler, interesting. Couldn’t God have protected them? The angel warned them and they end up in Galilee, why? Couldn’t they have raised Jesus anywhere? Nope. All these so called obstacles served as bumpers to accomplish the Father’s ultimate purposes. In the end they channelize Jesus and His parents into fulfilling prophesy. “He shall be called a Nazarene.” Nazareth becomes the city where Jesus grows up according to the sovereign plan of God. Recently, I was told I most likely have Multiple Scorsese (MS). I have two choices. I can see it as a great tragedy and worry myself sick about this sickness. Or I can embrace it as God’s sovereign will for my life and look for the blessings that come with it. I’d rather trust God than get bitter. What are the “obstacles” you see in your life? Embrace these circumstances as bumpers to channel you into the Father’s will. FJ10