Monday, June 23, 2008

Old Self / New Self

You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self, which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires; to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness. Ephesians 4:22-24


One of the toughest transitions I've ever had to make was going from enlistedman to Non-Commissioned Officer. I went from follower to leader, from carefree to the burden of responsibility, from one looking up to one being looked up to. It was a challenging transformation. It meant a different relationship with my peers and my leaders. I could no longer do some of the things I could as a private. I now had to set the example. I took on greater responsibility for technical and tactical knowledge. I had to shed the old enlisted ways and take on the new NCO ways. In like manner we do the same as we go from an unregenerate person of the world to a child of God. We have new values, responsibilities, and even new authority. Live up to those stripes. SP296